7 Things Every Business Owner Must Do in 2006By Andrew J. Birol, President, Birol Growth Consulting, Inc.
While most business owners are spending this season committing to one more sale, one more hire, or one more product, business owners who want to succeed had better go deeper.
A small business lives or dies on the conviction and focus of its owner and their ability to adapt to change, focus on the business’s Best and Highest Use, and harness a passion to succeed. Here's what businesses need to accomplish in 2006:
- Forget the New Year's Resolutions. Remember what Yoda tells Luke Skywalker: "Do, or do not. There is no try." If Yoda was a NASCAR fan, all he'd have to say is “Get 'er done.”
- You must divide your time equally and devote it to three elements: selling, delivering and developing the business. If it's not in balance, you'll never get ahead, or survive or profit...
- Always hone your Best and Highest Use – outsource everything else.
- As an owner, you are also president and chief rainmaker. Know yourself and make sure that you are succeeding in all three roles. You must maintain objectivity to keep the business moving forward. That means managing yourself – setting specific and measurable goals and tracking your progress.
- Confront your business ambivalence or apprehension. If you don't believe in your plan or your business, how can your employees, customers or vendors? Strive to eliminate these distractions by accepting the truth, making the hard decisions and rekindling your passions.
- Don't buy anything from anyone who doesn't use what they sell.
- “Show me a good loser and I'll show you…. a loser!” Surround yourself with successful role models. Find positive, productive peers in owners groups in your area or online. Seek virtual and live arenas where you will meet fellow business owners.
Articles by Birol Growth Consulting are © copyrighted and all rights are reserved. However, articles may be reprinted with prior written consent if attribution is included as follows:
© Copyrighted by Andrew J. Birol, President of Birol Growth Consulting, who helps owners grow their businesses by growing their Best and Highest Use ®. Andy can be reached at (440) 349-1970, by email at email@example.com, or on the web at www.andybirol.com.